If you’re running pay-per-click marketing (PPC) campaigns in Google Ads or Bing Ads, then this article is for you.
Having a healthy PPC account can really make a difference for your marketing ROI. Managing successful PPC campaigns can be a complex effort, but simple tips and ideas on how to gauge the health of your account can be the difference between a dollar in your pocket, vs. a dollar in Google’s (or Bing’s). We’re happy to share this quick guide to help you gain a better understanding of how your PPC marketing efforts are REALLY going.
Let’s get started!
Level 1: Account
- Have conversion goals been setup for the account and has tracking code placed on website?
- Do your campaigns have an organized naming system for an easy understanding of what product, which network, which device(s), and/or which location is being targeted?
- Have you linked your Google Analytics account to your Google Ads account?
- Have you taken advantage of automated bidding strategies?
- Are you taking advantage of remarketing campaigns?
Level 2: Campaigns
- Are you using the correct network for your campaign objective? (Always separate your Display Network and Search Network into two separate campaigns to better segment data for future analysis).
- Are you targeting the correct geographic areas where you’re looking for new customers?
- Are you using the best bid strategy for your campaign goal?
- Have you added negative keywords to your campaign?
Level 3: Ad Groups
- Do you have more than 20 keywords in any of your ad groups?
- If so, can you split up those keywords into more granular ad groups?
- Do your ad groups have clear names to identify which keywords are contained in them?
- Can any of those ad groups become their own campaign for increased control of budget?
Level 4: Ads
- Are you taking advantage of dynamic search ads?
- Have you enabled all relevant ad extensions, such as Sitelink, Call, Callout, Location, Structured Snippet, and Pricing extensions?
- Are you running A/B tests with your ads in order to optimize your ad copy?
- For your display network campaigns, are you also running image ads (rather than just text ads)?
Level 5: Keywords
- Are higher-performing/converting keywords in need of bid increases to capture more impression share?
- If so, can you afford to increase those bids? Keep in mind you might need to raise that campaign’s daily budget.
- Are your keywords’ match types giving you unwanted impressions?
- Are you taking advantage of negative keyword lists to avoid showing ads for irrelevant search queries?
As you go through your PPC account and ask yourself these questions (and take any appropriate actions), you’ll be well on your way to higher profitability and seeing a greater ROI from your ad spend!
Would You Rather Have Us Do It All?
We’d be happy to evaluate your PPC campaigns and provide you a list of strategy recommendations. All you have to do is request a free marketing proposal!